Wednesday 10 May 2017

From a Lit Single Major, With Love

From a Lit Single Major, With Love

When I came to college in 2012, with my heart in my mouth, I didn’t know what to expect. I was too overwhelmed by everything around me. There was only one way I knew how to deal with the unsettling reality: I read. I read until my eyes stung; until the words on the pages started blurring into each other.

Attending my first Literature class is something that I will never forget. I slipped in through the back door, a little skeptical, and also somewhat irritated because every inch of the wooden benches seemed occupied. Out of sheer desperation, I sandwiched myself between four boisterous, over-excited girls. I thought to myself: “Okay, let’s see how this introductory class is. If I don’t like it, I’ll probably change my subject.”

But from the minute Ms. Jihasa entered the class (it was Room 12 if I remember correctly) and addressed us - quietly, clearly, but with an air that simply commanded respect - I was hooked. I felt like a book-starved eight-year-old who’d finally been presented with a Malory Towers/St Clare’s omnibus after months and months of begging. I was thrilled.

Although I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of every Lit class during my first two years - whether it was taught by Ms. Samrita, Ms. Damini or Ms. Jihasa - I never thought of choosing it as my subject in TY. I was too….blinded, shall I say, by Psychology. But when the time came to fill the form for TY, I knew what I had to choose. All thoughts of Psych flew out of the window, never to return. I wanted Lit. I needed Lit - up until that moment, I hadn’t realized just how badly.

My final year was my most memorable one. I owe everything to the Department of English. My classmates and I often referred to Ms. Damini as “one of us” - she was so easygoing and friendly, and such an inspiration. She’d make me want to read up on all sorts of interesting things that weren’t part of the syllabus but helped us all the same. The news of her resignation came as a rude shock. Oh, well. Ms. Samrita was my supervisor for the research paper that I co-authored for the Young Adult Literature seminar. Being mentored by her was such a wonderful experience. She’d clear all my endless doubts, unraveling each cobweb with admirable patience.  As a teacher, she is so erudite and such a treasure trove of knowledge….my favorite class with her was 20th-century British Literature. Thanks to her, my love for Existentialism, and Theatre of the Absurd, has only grown; and shows no sign of abating.

Ms. Nishtha is one of the cutest teachers whom I’ve ever known. What I learnt from her was that no matter what happens - no matter how many curveballs life throws our way - we will always have literature to seek solace in. That thought slows my heart rate and calms me down. Ms. Jihasa will forever be the one who ignited the spark and set the ball rolling….I cannot be more grateful to her even if I tried. If I could, I would spend every minute in her class. Being her student completely transformed my approach to - and perception of - literature. She has had a significant influence on me.

The end is always reserved for the most special thing or person, isn’t it? In a way, I am indeed saving the best for the last (but certainly not the least).... Sr. Ananda. Head of the Department; Principal of the College. She is the backbone of the institution, and I have such a tremendous amount of respect and admiration for her. Her steady calmness puts things into perspective like little else does. She was the person whom I came home to, at the end of a long and tiring day, and she knew just what to say to take away the sting. The way she taught enthralled me - she transformed literature into a welcome ocean in which I could willingly drown myself. I draw immense strength from her warmth and gentleness.

“You can take the girl out of Lit, but you can’t take Lit out of the girl”.....and for that, I have no one to thank but my wonderfully encouraging and supportive teachers. Thank you, each one of you, for making it magical. I take a little bit of you with me wherever I go.   

-       Shreya Iyengar

            Batch of 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment