Friday 12 May 2017

Who would have thought that college life will be so much fun?

Who would have thought that college life will be so much fun? 

I remember the first day I entered the Sophia Hostel. I was a bit reluctant to leave my comfort zone and very hesitant to start a new chapter in a completely different city far away from my hometown. When I reached the campus, I was awed. I felt so happy on just the thought of staying in this beautiful campus for the rest of the year. 

Fortunately or unfortunately, I was allotted the only six-sharing room. Room 15. So many memories are attached with this room. I was obviously scared at the prospect of sharing my room with five other people who were complete strangers to me. The first night was spent getting to know each other and also getting familiar with the surroundings, routines, rules and our wonderful, helpful seniors. 

Slowly as the time passed, I started settling in my new life. Soon our classes started too. The first day itself was amazing as nearly the whole day was spent introducing ourselves to our peers and teachers and the fact that we were 72 of us in FYBMM was thrilling. Eventually, we had been divided into groups and were already given project deadlines. Coming back to my hostel life, I wasn’t coping that well. I would be homesick a lot as it was still a new experience for me. But soon I had made quite a few friends in the hostel who guided me throughout the year. 

The most amazing part of hostel life was the dance parties that the TY batch, joined by the SY’s and FY’s, had every second day. Be it any weekday or someone’s birthday, these dance parties were the best. The terrace was our ‘Adda’. Whether we wanted to have our gossip sessions, or dance parties, or hold meetings regarding the farewells and K-Scope, the terrace was the only place for that. The hostel was totally a different place during K-Scope. We would have day scholars over who would stay with us, sharing our beds or sleeping on the floor (making it look like a slumber party!!). And believe me that once K-Scope ended, our hostel felt so boring for a few days until we came back to our routine. 

The evenings would be amazing, with people scurrying away after roll call to either cook Maggi, or watch a movie in the wifi area, wash their clothes or take a bath. Soon, our first semester exams were just around the corner and the environment of the whole hostel changed. You could see each and every corner filled with girls studying either in groups or alone. The serious atmosphere was a boon as the concentration level was at the maximum then. Then came the semester break we all were awaiting. I won’t be kidding when I say that I actually missed hostel while I was at home. 

The second semester was exciting too. The last two months of the year were spent in sports week, college day and of course Christmas celebration. The most exciting part was the KKSS. Everyone was so excited to give and receive gifts secretly. A week before we left for our Christmas break, we hostelites also went carol singing to raise money for charity. And once we came back, it was time to prepare for the farewell. We FY’s had the responsibility of giving a grand hostel farewell to the passing batch, and indeed we did give one smashing farewell. 

Soon followed the college farewell and the respective department farewells (in my case, the BMM farewell). Before we knew it, our semester-end exams were on top of our heads and once again the environment in our hostel turned serious. I was very excited to leave this place and once again be with my family. The last day of exams turned into the first day of packing. I remember saying goodbyes to my roommates with whom I had spent the past eight-nine months in my second home. Since I was the last one to leave among the six of us, I practically had the whole room to myself for two whole days. 

As I type this out, I wish that may the next session be as amazing as the previous one if not more than that.


Sonakshi Srivastava FYBMM (2015-16)


No comments:

Post a Comment