Wednesday 10 May 2017

Proud Sophiate

"You're just a seventeen year-old girl and we have never allowed you to travel alone in Kolkata. How can we then allow you to go to all the way to Mumbai and study in Sophia College?" My grandmother asked a prickly question. Several uncles and aunts amplified it, "You did humanities in your high school so it hardly makes a difference what degree you pursue". I put my foot down, howsoever small it was at that time…I want to do BMM and study in Sophia! As a first generation undergraduate student from my family, I could understand their utter bewilderment about my decision and resolve.
With firm support and encouragement from my parents, I could finally make it to Sophia College for Women in 2007. It was beginning of a new chapter in my life and I never looked back since then. The Sophia family, Colaco Ma'am, Sr.Anila and Lavanya Ma’am believed in my dreams at a time when nobody else did. The spirit and values of Sophia taught me to be a critical thinker, instilling virtues of independence and courage. At every step, I was encouraged to speak out my mind, which was a refreshing experience for someone coming from an ingrained patriarchal setup. Today as an international development professional, I deal with several obstacles and smash stereotypes that shackle independent spirit of women. Now I truly understand the subtext of Sophia’s motto and crest – ‘Urdhva Mula’ (Roots Upwards). I also stand as a proud Sophiate and aspire to be an example to those questioning relevance of social sciences and women's education in our society. On the celebratory occasion of Platinum Jubilee, I congratulate Sophia College and express my gratitude for making a big difference in my life and the lives of several women for decades.  

Shreyashi Dasgupta is a Jawaharlal Nehru Cambridge PhD Scholar at the University of Cambridge, U.K and is a member of Girton College. She graduated from Sophia College for Women in 2010.




No comments:

Post a Comment